Thursday, March 26, 2015

Mum's home cooked crab

Yes - we served it on the frying pan itself! :P
Mum cooked this when she was visiting because I was missing some crab dish. In fact I have not eaten any crab since left Malaysia. Anyway, like all mums, she cooks with her scientific method of "agak-agak" (means guesstimate). Once I've re-try this I shall update this recipe but in the meantime, just so I don't forget. It taste great and home as mum has always cook crabs this way since I'm a kid.

Ingredients:

6 blue swimmers crabs (I stay in Melbourne and bought this from Queen Victoria Market)
6 shallots (or 1 big onion) - according to Mum, best to use shallots as it is more fragrant (in cooking term)
8-10 red chillies
1 1/2 heaped soup spoon of yellow bean paste (start with 1 heaped soup spoon and scoop another 1/2 spoon. Yes - the Chinese spoon used to drink soup)
Oil to fry

Method:
  1. Clean the crabs.
  2. Cut and blend the shallots, chillies and yellow bean paste into a course paste (alternatively use mortar and pestle).
  3. Heat some oil and fry the paste till fragrant.
  4. Put in the crabs, mix well and coat the crabs with the paste.
  5. Cover the pan with lid and let it simmer till the crabs are cooked.
  6. Serve with mantou (if you have made or have some at hand), else goes with white rice too!

No comments:

Post a Comment