Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Spiral Curry Puff (Karipap Pusing)

Aiya - didn't realise the photo is a bit blur...
Mum came for a two week visit recently and brought along with her a hand-written recipe by my aunt of what Mum described as 2 layer curry puff. I don't have slightest idea what Mum meant about 2 layer curry puff. To me, 2 layer would be way too thick for a curry puff skin. Not only I don't get the 2 layer bits, the handwritten recipe only has ingredients, but no method at all. = ="

After a long description, I finally found out that what Mum meant was spiral curry puff or karipap pusing in Bahasa Melayu. As Mum showed extreme interest, I thought I would give it a try and asked my best friend, Mr Google for methods of making this curry puff and to see if the ingredients are similar.

I used recipe from here, who adapted it from here but unfortunately it was not successful - the pastry splitted, probably because it was too dry? I wasn't quite sure what went wrong. I didn't really have plans to re-try this as I only make it initially as Mum seem excited over it. However due to my possible slight obsessive compulsive trait, I decided to give it another try but increase the butter amount in grease dough.

Anyway, here goes.

Ingredients:

Water dough:
300 g plain flour
½ tsp salt
125 ml (or 1/2 cup) lukewarm water
1 small beaten egg
1 tbsp of oil

Grease dough:
150 g plain flour --> I don't have enough flour when I make this again, so I halved the recipe)
75 g cold butter --> on my second batch, I used used 75 g flour with 50 g butter (so a full recipe would be 150 g with 100 g cold butter)

Curry puff filling:
1 large onion (finely chopped)
2 cloves of garlic (finely chopped)
2 tbsp of good curry powder --> I used 1 tbsp curry powder, 1 tbsp mixture of masala
3 large potatoes (cut into small cubes)
100 g of chicken breast (diced)
250 ml (or 1 cup) water
A sprig of curry leaves or less


Method:
Curry puff filling:
  1. Start by cooking the curry puff filling, whilst the filling cools, started on the dough.
  2. Saute the onion and garlic in a wok (or a pan) over medium heat. Add the potatoes and stir fry until it softens. Add in the chicken and curry powder.
  3. Ensure that everything is coated in the curry powder before adding in the water. Add the water slowly (little by little) and allow the curry to simmer.
  4. Once the potatoes have soften and the curry forms a dry curry mixture, set aside and let cool.
Water Dough:
  1. Combine all ingredients and knead with fingers until the dough becomes soft, pliable and non-sticky. 
  2. Divide and roll the water dough into two equal balls. 
  3. Cover and set aside to rest for at least 30 minutes. (The grease dough took me very long, so it was definitely more than 30 minutes)
Grease Dough:
  1. Cube the butter and cut into the flour with two knives and a fork until it resembles crumbly coarse sand. (I rub the butter with flour like making apple crumble)
  2. Knead by hand until it turns shiny and smooth (dough-like consistency). --> this took me ages...
  3. Divide and roll into two equal balls.
Forming the curry puffs:
  1. Roll out water dough a little then enclose one ball of greased dough with water dough. 
  2. On a lightly floured surface roll the combine dough into a thin oval shape with a rolling pin. Roll it up and with one end facing you, roll the dough out again into a thin layer.
  3. Turn the dough 90 degrees, so one side of the circles are facing you and repeat the above. 
  4. Sliced into 1 cm disc and roll it flat but not too thin or it would split into layers. 
  5. Place a tablespoon of the curry puff filling into the centre of the flatten disc and fold over.
  6. Seal the edges of the dough together by pinching and folding the flour to form a rope. 


I've also frozen some and fried them straight without thawing. Would I make these again? Unless I am super motivated as it is fairly time consuming, especially since I am such a slow cook!


No comments:

Post a Comment