Pickled chillies, seasoning sauce adapted from To Food with Love
Mushroom sauce adapted from A Kitchen Cat
Wontons adapted from RecipeTin Eats
Char siew adapted from My Mind Patch
Ingredients / Method:
1 packet of fresh egg noodles (I think 400g?), cook according to instructions
1 bunch of choy sum, washed, cut, blanched
5-6 long green chillies, sliced thinly - used 2 long ones
2/3 cup Chinese white rice vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
2-3 tbsp sugar - used 1 tbsp
- Combine vinegar, salt and sugar and mix well to dissolve
- Add salt & sugar to taste
- Pour boiling water over sliced chillies in another bowl, let stand for 30 seconds, then drained.
- Pour vinegar solution over chillies, covered, refrigerate for at least 2 hours till chillies turned into olive-green colour.
5-6 dried shiitake mushrooms - I used 6 small ones
1 cup hot water
1/2 tbsp oil - not used
2 cloves garlic, peeled and lightly crushed with the back of a knife
1 1/2 cups water
1 tsp chicken stock powder - not used
1 1/2 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp vegetarian mushroom sauce (optional) - not used
Salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 tbsp cornstarch, dissolved in 2 tbsp water
- Soak mushrooms in 1 cup hot water until softened.
- Squeeze out excess water from mushrooms, slice and set aside.
- Reserve the soaking liquid for later.
- Heat up ~1/2 tbsp vegetable oil in a small saucepan.
- Fry the garlic and mushrooms for 1 minute.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, except for the cornstarch solution. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add cornstarch solution and stir until the sauce boils and thickens slightly.
- Turn off the heat, cover the saucepan and set aside.
Seasoning sauce (per serve)
1 tbsp thick dark soy sauce (Cheong Chan brand thick caramel)
1/2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1/8 tsp salt (or to taste)
1/2 tsp sugar - I used dark brown sugar because I only have this and icing sugar at home
Dash of Golden Mountain sauce (optional) - not used
- Combine all and set aside
1 packet of wonton wrappers
200 g lean pork mince (ground pork)
200 g peeled prawns / shrimp , roughly chopped
1 tbsp ginger, finely grated (1.5" / 3cm piece)
2 shallots, chopped (5 tbsp)
1 tbsp light soy sauce
2 tbsp Chinese cooking wine (Shaoxing wine)
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp sesame oil
- Mixed all ingredients except wonton wrappers together.
- Wrap wontons
- Boil or deep fry the ones you need, freeze the rest
450-475g collar pork / pork scotch
2 tbsp hoisin sauce
2 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp rice wine - I used shaoxing wine
1 tsp rose wine, optional - not used
1/4 tsp dark soya sauce
1 tbsp raw sugar - not used
1 tbsp dark brown sugar
1 tbsp honey - I used maple syrup
1 clove garlic, crushed with skin on - I forget and promptly removed skin
- Cut meat into smaller pieces, about 4x3cm, rinse and drain.
- Add marinades ingredients to pork, mix, cover and leave for at least an hour (I left it overnight).
- Pour into rice cooker and cook.
- When cooked, transfer meat to oven.
- Roast at 200°C, 3 minutes, fan forced.
- Flip the meat after 1.5 minutes.
- Can add some water to the rice cooker to turn it into gravy.
- Add 2-3 tbsp of mushroom sauce to single portion seasoning sauce in a bowl.
- Add noodles to the same bowl and mixed well.
- If not enough mushroom sauce, can add more.
- Top up with wontons, sliced char siew and blanced choy sum.
- Serve with pickled chillies.